[FOM] Formalization Thesis

William Tait williamtait at mac.com
Wed Dec 26 16:35:50 EST 2007

One challenge to the Formalization Thesis, or maybe better, to a
satisfactory formulation of it, arises from the 'reduction to sets' of
various types of objects: ordered pairs, functions, ordinal numbers,
cardinal numbers, real numbers, etc. In each case, the reduction adds
structure to the type that is not part of its real meaning. In fact,
this was Dedekind's challenge. (And, as Benacerraf pointed out, there
is in general some arbitrariness about what structure is added.)

Timothy, this may not be the direction in which you want the
discussion of the FT to go, but I would be interested in reading

Best wishes for the New Year to All,

Bill Tait