[FOM] KNAW Academie Colloquium: New perspectives on Games and Interaction

martin@eipye.com martin at eipye.com
Fri Sep 29 15:44:37 EDT 2006

Call for Abstracts

KNAW Academie Colloquium: New perspectives on Games and
Interaction
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
February 5-7, 2007

http://www.illc.uva.nl/KNAW-AC/

Confirmed Speakers and Commentators: S. Abramsky, A.
Baltag, G. Bonanno,
A. Brandenburger, B. de Bruin, P. Dekker, U. Endriss, E.
Grädel, W.
Hodges, G. Jäger, N. Komarova, D. Lehmann, E. Pacuit, A.
Rubinstein, D.
Samet, G. Sandu, B. Skyrms, S. Tijs, J. Väänänen, W. van
der Hoek, H. van
Ditmarsch, J. van Eijck, P. van Emde Boas, Y. Venema, W.
Wadge, I.
Walukiewicz

   Recently, the dynamic and interactive aspects of
logical reasoning,
communication, and information processing have become
central in logic,
linguistics and computer science. It is the interplay of
many actors with
goals and preferences, whether human or computational,
which underlies
their core tasks. To account for these interactive
aspects, the notion of
a 'game' as a mathematical model of strategic interaction
between players
with their own preferences on the possible outcomes has
proved to be
important in all those disciplines. The purpose of this
colloquium is to
encourage these incipient interactions between the various
disciplines
thinking about games and interaction, and clarify their
common concerns
and potential for fruitful collaboration.

   The colloquium will be organized as an Academie
Colloquium of the Royal
Acedemy of the Netherlands (KNAW) and will consist of
fifteen invited
talks by international speakers that cover various aspects
of games in
logic, computer science, economics, and linguistics. Each
talk will be
followed by a commentary and discussion.

   We also plan eight shorter talks of 15+5 minutes (15
minutes talk, 5
minutes discussion) selected from submitted abstracts. We
invite
researchers to submit abstracts for these shorter talks
before our
deadline of

NOVEMBER 29th, 2006.

We would like to emphasize the importance of the active
involvement of
junior scientists, and therefore particularly encourage
PhD students and
junior postdocs to submit abstracts.

   Submitted abstracts should not exceed 2 pages
(including bibliography).
Only electronic submissions in PDF format will be
accepted. The authors
should send an email with subject "Submission
KNAW-Academie Colloquium" to
Robert van Rooij <R.A.M.vanRooij at uva.nl>, with the PDF
file of the
abstract as an attachment, and the following information
in the body of
the email in plain text:

(*) Title of abstract.
(*) Author names.
(*) Surface mail, email address, and phone number of the
contact author.

Important Dates
(*) Deadline for Submission: November 29, 2006
(*) Notification of Acceptance: December 5, 2006