[FOM] The Lucas-Penrose Thesis

Rupert McCallum rupertmccallum at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 28 19:12:01 EDT 2006

A point worth making about Penrose's argument, which I think was made
by David Chalmers, is that it can be generalized. The same argument
works just as well to show that the set of sentences in a given
language which humans can perceive to be true, cannot be definable by a
description in that language such that humans can know that description
to define a sound set of sentences. For example, the set of sentences
in the first-order language of set theory which humans can perceive to
be true could not be definable by an expression in the first-order
language of set theory such that humans can perceive that that
expression defines a sound set of sentences. The obvious point to make
exists, but that we cannot perceive it to define a sound set of
sentences - there is no reason why we should always be able to perceive
such a thing. Similarly, it may be that a Turing machine generating the
set of sentences we can perceive to be true exists, but that we cannot
perceive that the Turing machine generates a sound set of sentences -
there is no reason why we should always be able to perceive this.
Penrose tries hard to argue that this is an unlikely possibility but I
think ultimately his arguments are not very persuasive.