[FOM] The Irrelevance of definite descriptions in the Slingshot Argument?

Michael Zeleny zeleny at post.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 28 16:14:12 EDT 2006

Various published versions of the slingshot argument turn on the
deployment of class abstracts and other variable-binding term
operators. No mathematical substance depends on this choice. The key
assumption in this regard is that the ensuing terms be interpreted
categorematically, as required for taking them as concurrent or
co-denoting, and hence subject to being substituted salva veritate.
This is the crucial element in Church's attribution of crushing
cogency to Frege's informal argument that declarative sentences denote
truth values.

Michael Zeleny at post.harvard.edu
http://larvatus.livejournal.com/
7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046 -- 323.363.1860
All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try
again. Fail again. Fail better. -- Samuel Beckett