[FOM] Quantun mechanics realm

Paul Oppenheimer paul at peoppenheimer.org
Wed May 31 14:17:08 EDT 2006

Besides Bohm's own work (post the textbook, which was still
Copenhagen), see also "Bohmian Mechanics" (ed. Cushing, et al.),
"Speakable & Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics (by J.S. Bell), &
especially the original de Broglie "guide wave" paper.  (I think I've
detected a predecessor to this idea in Newton's notebooks on optics,
but that's another story.) The simple idea is that if QM is a
complete theory, it must explain in QM terms the difference between
QM phenomena and classical measurements, and how measurement occurs.
(The mysterious "collapse of the wave function" of Copenhagen is not
acceptable to Bohmians as an explanation within QM.)
peoppenheimer.org