[FOM] Godel Centenary Meeting 3

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Sun May 28 14:03:17 EDT 2006

Harvey Friedman <friedman at math.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

> In #31, I propose an example of the "unknowable", and mention that
> Chaitin has been publishing on related matters for some time. I
> outline a research program there, and make excuses for not having
> done certain things. Any comments on the relationship between this
> work and that of Chaitin's would be particularly welcomed.

I think that Harvey's results are clearly superior to those of Chaitin.
The latter are highly relative to a particular Godel numbering of Turing
machines used. Harvey's results have much more absolute nature, which
makes them much more interesting.

All the Best, Panu

Panu Raatikainen
Ph.D., Academy Research Fellow,