[FOM] Ordinal notations]

doner@math.ucsb.edu doner at math.ucsb.edu
Fri May 19 22:07:20 EDT 2006

Yes, there is a notation system that should do what you want.  See the
paper of myself and Tarski "An extended arithmetic of ordinal numbers",
Fund. Math. v.65:p95-127.  There the basics of a hierarchy of ordinal
functions are developed.  The whole thing is worked out in much more
detail in my paper "Definability in the extended arithmetic of ordinal
numbers",
Dissertationes Math. 96 (1972).  More on the metamathematics of the system
was included in my Ph.D. dissertation, unpublished.  There are no gaps of
the type you refer to in this hierarchy, although it's reach for
definibility does end somewhere, at gamma_0 I think.

John Doner