[FOM] On the Continuum Hypothesis, part 2

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Tue May 16 00:56:09 EDT 2006

Reply to Taranovsky:

A mathematician who works with "ordinary mathematical objects" is
concerned with statements which are generally "absolute"; most of the
Clay Millenium Problems have arithmetical formulations, and even
well-known non-arithmetical questions like the Invariant Subspace
Conjecture are absolute, and so independent of CH.

If I were one of those mathemeticians, I would care about large
cardinals, because they have consequences "lower down"; but can you
explain to such a person why he should care about the Continuum
Hypothesis?

-- JS