[FOM] Algebraic closure of Q

Robert M. Solovay solovay at Math.Berkeley.EDU
Sun May 14 03:17:24 EDT 2006

Harvey,

 	I have several problems with your proposed proof in ZF that "if
there is a countable sequence of finite sets whose union is not finite or
countable" then " there is an algebraic closure of Q which is not
countable".

 	I have three objections:

 	1) You claim that we can find a sequence, F_i, of splitting fields
of the equations

z^{p_i} - 2 = 0 whose p_i^th roots of 2 are precisely the set B_i.

 	This would be evident if we had the lemma:

The Galois group of the splitting field of the equation z^{p_i} - 2 = 0 is
the symmetric group on p_i letters.

 	But this is clearly false for p_i > 3.

 	[The following property holds for some but not all triples of
distinct roots: (x_2/x_1)^2 = x_3/x_1 ]

 	2) Even if you get this sequence of splitting fields, I don't see
that there is a single field that contains them all. {In ZF. In ZFC, of
course, this is evident.}

 	3) The proposition that every field has an algebraic closure seems
to need the axiom of choice. {I believe it is indeed, known, that the use
of AC here is essential.}

 	Of course, none of this shows that the result you are trying to
prove isn't true. Indeed, perhaps there is a correct proof along the rough
lines of your current attempt.

 	--Bob Solovay