[FOM] An alternative to the real numbers as a basis for physics

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 11:07:22 EST 2006

There is a growing literature on the use of alternative completions of
Q (that is, the p-adic numbers) as a basis for physics. Since
experimental measurements are always expressed as rational numbers,
this is less wacky than it may seem. To those who object that the
choice of p is arbitrary, there is also work with "adeles" and
"ideles", generalizations of number fields which simultaneously take
values in R and Qp for all p.

The following paper is a good introduction:

http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/hep-th/0602044

Many more references can be found here:

http://www.maths.ex.ac.uk/~mwatkins/zeta/physics7.htm

Here is a quote from Yu. I. Manin:

"On the fundamental level our world is neither real nor p-adic; it is
adelic. For some reasons, reflecting the physical nature of our kind of
living matter (e.g. the fact that we are built of massive particles),
we tend to project the adelic picture onto its real side. We can
equally well spiritually project it upon its non-Archimediean side and
calculate most important things arithmetically.
The relations between 'real' and 'arithmetical' pictures of the world
is that of complementarity, like the relation between conjugate
observables in quantum mechanics."

I've never seen any discussion of this on the FOM. Is there anyone who
knows both enough math and enough physics to comment?

-- JS