[FOM] explicit variables

William Tait wwtx at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 1 11:39:09 EDT 2006

There is this difference between $F$ and $F(x)$: In compositional
semantics, $F$ denotes a function from $D$ to $D$, where $D$ is the
domain of individuals. $F(x)$ denotes a function from $(V-->D)$ into
$D$, where $V$ is some set of variables containing $x$.

Of course, variables can in principle be eliminated entirely. In the
case of first-order logic, Weyl did this in *Das Kontinuum*. In the
case of abstraction terms, Schoenfinkel did it in "On the building-
blocks of mathematical logic" A general treatment, building on
Schoenfinkel's, which in particular covers predicate logic of finite
type, is in my paper "Variable-free formalization of the Curry-Howard
type theory." (On my website.)

Regards,

Bill Tait