[FOM] Kreisel on Non-Standard Functional Analysis: The ontological and the epistemic

Haim Gaifman hg17 at columbia.edu
Wed Jul 26 19:44:55 EDT 2006

Dear Robert Tragesser,
You seem to conflate two issues: (1) Realism (that is, the position that
certain mathematical
statements have objective truth-values, independent of our abilities to
decide them (2) Organization of
the mathematical material in a fruitful way that yields better insights,
suggests good questions, reveals certain
regularities, etc. The first issue is ontological, the second is
epistemic. The question of explanatory
power is epistemic.

Ontologically, there is no more to the complex numbers than there it to
the reals, since
the complex numbers can be construed as pairs of reals and every
question about complex
numbers can be equivalently stated as a question about the reals. So a
Platonist with respect
to the reals is also a Platonist with respect to the complex numbers.
But  complex number
theory---which incorporates geometric structures and geometric
intuitions---is a different theory,
 in terms of heuristics, guidelines, the kind of questions it asks,
etc. Its explanatory power
with regard to the behavior of the Taylor series of 1/1+x^2 consists in
showing that this behavior
falls under a general pattern concerning complex functions, a pattern
that is missing when
one considers only real functions.

Concerning non-standard arithmetic, one is ontologically committed to it
whenever
one is committed to the portion of set theory within which one can
construct the non-standard
model in question. If Gödel  was a Platonist with respect to that
fragment of set theory
(as presumably he was) then he would be a Platonist with respect to that
non-standard
model of arithmetic, or analysis, because that model can be constructed
with the set theory
that he treats realistically.

Robinson was a skeptic with respect to actual infinity. He treated both
the standard and
the non-standard models of arithmetic as "fictional entities" that are
useful for getting good
finitistic results. The fact that they are useful did not imply, for
him, that every question
that can be stated in their language has objective truth value.

Haim Gaifman