[FOM] On >>this sentence cannot be proven true<<

Hartley Slater slaterbh at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jul 25 22:26:52 EDT 2006

At 12:00 PM -0400 25/7/06, Laureano Luna Caba?ero wrote:
>Arnon Avron wrote on Aug 22 2003 04:41:43 in the thread [FOM] Godel
>Sentence & The Liar :
>
>>"This sentence cannot be proven true" immediately leads to a
>>paradox if we assume (wrongly, I am convinced) that it expresses
>>a meaningful proposition.
>
>   This is not exactly so. Call "K" the sentence at issue. The
>assumption that K expresses a proposition, and hence that K has a
>truth value, leads to the conclusion that K is true. Only the
>assumption that we know that K expresses a proposition leads to a
>paradox.
>
>   Anyway, I'm inclined to agree with Arnon Avron on the essential. I
>also think that most probably K expresses no proposition. My concern
>here is: can this be proven?

It can be proven that it does not express a single proposition, but
that allows it might express more than one.  Tarski's T-scheme
presumes that the sentences it applies to are not ambiguous - or
indexical, for instance.  So it should explicitly involve this
condition, and read, with 'Sx*p' as 'x says that p', and 'r' ranging
over referential phrases to propositions:
If  (r)(Sar iff r=*p) then Tx iff p.
I have several papers in central places explaining this further
(details available on request); there is also a major paper along the
same lines by Charles Parsons in The Paradox of the liar,  edited by
Robert L. Martin, Reseda : Ridgeview, 1978.