[FOM] On >>this sentence cannot be proven true<<

laureano luna laureanoluna at yahoo.es
Mon Jul 24 05:38:16 EDT 2006

Arnon Avron wrote on Aug 22 2003 04:41:43 in the thread [FOM] Godel Sentence & The Liar :

>"This sentence cannot be proven true" immediately leads to a
>paradox if we assume (wrongly, I am convinced) that it expresses
>a meaningful proposition.

  This is not exactly so. Call "K" the sentence at issue. The assumption that K expresses a proposition, and hence that K has a truth value, leads to the conclusion that K is true. Only the assumption that we know that K expresses a proposition leads to a paradox.

  Anyway, I'm inclined to agree with Arnon Avron on the essential. I also think that most probably K expresses no proposition. My concern here is: can this be proven?

  Can you help me with this?

  Regards,

  Laureano Luna Cabañero

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.