[FOM] Kolmogorov Feasibility??

V.Sazonov@csc.liv.ac.uk V.Sazonov at csc.liv.ac.uk
Thu Jul 13 05:26:00 EDT 2006

Quoting Stephen G Simpson <simpson at math.psu.edu> Wed, 12 Jul 2006:

> Modulo these reservations, can we say that s is "Kolmogorov feasible"
> if its Kolmogorov complexity is "feasible", e.g., less than 2^{1000}?
> Is this what is being proposed?

It seems you wanted to say "much less than 2^{1000}". But what does it
formally mean? If n is much less than 2^{1000}, is n+1 still much less
than 2^{1000}? Thus, before any considerations on Kolmogorov's
complexity, the primary question is whether it is formally consistent
to postulate the existence of a (semi)set F of feasible numbers
satisfying the axioms:

0 in F, forall n (n in F => n+1 in F), but 2^1000 not in F.

Therefore, in which sense Kolmogorov's complexity is the right way for
approaching to feasibility? First, F (and some other related concepts
such as feasible computability, etc.) should be consistently formalised.

On the other hand, having such F, we could consider binary strings of
feasible length and their complexity. But this is sufficiently subtle
thing requiring reconsidering even the concept of computability before
trying to apply anything like Kolmogorov complexity. (See also my
computability in our real, feasible, world), I doubt very much that any
unique analogue of Church Thesis would ever hold here. This is because
feasible numbers are not closed under multiplication what should
exclude the existence of anything like the universal Turing machine -
the real base for CT. However note that in the case of Bounded
Arithmetic where only a weaker axiom

exists n 2^n = infinity

is consistent and the closure under multiplication holds, a universal
Turing machine can be shown (with a due care) to exist.

> Of course, ultra-finitists such as Sazonov may want to reject this
> definition, because they do not admit numbers such as 2^{1000000000}
> as mathematically meaningful, even though they are "Kolmogorov
> feasible" in the above sense.

I admit absolutely any mathematical intuition as soon as it is (or
could be) formalised including natural numbers, infinite sets, and also
ultra-finitism. In this sense I am formalist. I am not an
ultra-finitist in any (quasi)religious sense. What I reject is
Platonism just because it is an unacceptable in science mysticism.

Vladimir Sazonov