[FOM] formalized metalanguage

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jan 26 10:18:28 EST 2006

I'm stumped.  I am looking for work on the formalization of metalogic and
not having much luck.  This is something that people have done small
experiments in from time to time, but has not been explored continuously
by anyone.

An example is the final chapter (Syntax) of Quine's Mathematical Logic
where he does some constructions beginning by introducing names for
symbols in the object language and a concatenation operator to first-order
logic with identity.

The trouble seems to be that there is no (as far as I'm aware) agreed upon
term for such endeavors, and the relevant terms ('metalogic',
'metamathematics', 'formal', etc.) don't separate the normal and extensive
practice of informal metalogic from its formalization.

I'm hoping that someone may be aware of some more recent work along these
lines, particularly formalizations of Tarski's semantics.

Chris Gray
University of Waterloo

"You put seven rabbits in a pen, add five more, and for a while the total
is twelve."  -W.V.O. Quine