[FOM] intuitions of logic in Helsinki and Cambridge

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Tue Feb 28 06:13:25 EST 2006

    :

:
> I just wanted to see how, in certain situations (chatting in a common
> room, over dinner in a restaurant, etc.), classical mathematicians would
> respond if they thought that this was what I was doing.  And, in my very
> small sample, I found that it was the involuntary, unreflective response
> that I described above.

OK, I then misundertood your point. Obviously you're right here.

> If, by "to argue against these ideas," you mean arguing in favor
> of rejecting the law of excluded law, recall that, in constructive
> mathematics, the law of excluded middle is happily neither accepted
> nor rejected.  If you start out as a classical mathematician, as I
> did, you don't acquire a constructive mindset by rejecting the law
> of excluded middle.  It doesn't work that way!  (What intuitionists
> do is another matter.)

So how do you think it works? (honestly, I am iterested.)

I had myself in mind people such as Dummett, Prawitz and Martin-Lof who
argue against LEM by questioning the Principle of Bivalence. The attempts
to make this more precise easily leads to all sorts of circularities (as
I've tried to argue).

Best, Panu

Panu Raatikainen
Ph.D., Academy Research Fellow,