[FOM] The natural numbers as marks on paper

Eray Ozkural examachine at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 19:04:56 EST 2006

On 2/22/06, Martin Davis <martin at eipye.com> wrote:
> Alas, one person's marks on papers are another's abstract object smelling
> foully of Platonism. As Weaver perfectly well knows, a sheet of paper holds
> only finitely many marks. An example of an outstanding mathematician who
> finds the marks-on-paper no help is Jack Schwartz who has written on the
> matter on FOM and elsewhere.

As I indicated on my post about this problem, I think all matters are
easily resolved if one thinks of marks as computer programs. A finite
program can easily denote an "infinite" structure such as the list of
all natural numbers. This does not seem to be Platonist in the least

Eray Ozkural (exa), PhD candidate.  Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara
http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~erayo  Malfunct: http://www.malfunct.com