[FOM] Finite Set Theory

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Mon Feb 20 06:03:34 EST 2006

Quoting Harvey Friedman <friedman at math.ohio-state.edu>:

> > You have told *what matters about a set* in completely clear terms,
> > but you haven't said what a set *is*.  There is a hidden assertion
> > that there exist abstract objects with the behavior you describe.
> My recollection is that Piaget's experiments with young children
> show that at an early stage, pinpointed by his work, this kind of
> thinking is entirely incorporated.

Such issues, among other things, are disccused in Penelope
Maddy's 'Perception and mathematical intuition', Philosophical Review 89
(1980), pp. 163-196. (Reprinted in The Philosophy of Mathematics, W.D.
Hart, ed., (Oxford University Press), pp. 114-141.)

Best, Panu

Panu Raatikainen
Ph.D., Academy Research Fellow,
Docent in Theoretical Philosophy