[FOM] Choice of new axioms 1

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Fri Feb 17 08:37:44 EST 2006

Quoting Andrej Bauer <Andrej.Bauer at andrej.com>:

> I put this forth as a general strategy for mathematics,
> not just ZFC.

Your view seems then amount to what has been called "if-then-ism" (Putnam)
or "deductivism" (Resnik) in the philosophy of mathematics. Such a view has
been advanced for example by Russell, Hilbert and Putnam at some point of
their career (as well as certain logical positivists, as a way to try to
salvage logicism (fails)). It is a widely held opinion that this view faces
deep problems, but unfortunately I can't go to them now (I am away from my
office, in London, and terribly busy at the moment) - maybe little later.
(Maybe somebody else here can continue?)

> And since I am not advocating total mathematical anarchy,
> yet, there should be some principle for selecting certain
> axioms (and logics) over others.

Yes, that's one of the problems...

> A visible consequence of what I am suggesting is this: young
> mathematicians should _not_ be taught a single "standard" kind
> of logic and axiom system. Instead, students should be taught
> how to think with or without classical logic, axiom of choice,
> large cardinals, powersets, etc. In effect I am proposing that
> f.o.m.ers make themselves indispensable for the forseeable
> future. Surely you must agree :-)

Yes, I think I agree with you on that, even if I think myself as a kind of
absolutist.

All the Best, Panu

Panu Raatikainen
Ph.D., Academy Research Fellow,