[FOM] independence of RVM/attribution

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Sun Feb 12 19:42:45 EST 2006

I didn't exactly misattribute the unprovability of RVM to Solovay. I
was aware it was previously known to be unprovable, what I meant to say
was that Solovay showed how powerful RVM could be. (What I actually
said was that Solovay showed that RVM was "more powerful", when what I
meant was "MUCH more powerful").

Friedman is correct that the unprovability of RVM was known in the
30's, but it's a bit misleading say it was known "soon after Godel's
Second Incompleteness Theorem". Godel's Second Incompleteness Theorem
immediately gives the unprovability of the existence (or even
consistency) of STRONG inaccessibles, but to get the unprovability of
the existence of WEAK inaccessibles you need Godel's later work on
Constructible sets and the consistency of GCH.

-- JS