[FOM] Axioms that imply AC

William Tait wwtx at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 3 13:16:08 EST 2006

The statement that there is a well-ordering of the universe (i.e. a
universal choice function) is an example. For example, this is true
in L. It implies that set theory can be coded as a theory of
ordinals. Ronald Jensen [BSL 1 No. 4 (1995)] referred to this
possibility as the 'Pythagorean' conception of set theory:
'Everything is number'.

Bill Tait