[FOM] Harvey Friedman and PD vs V=L

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Thu Feb 2 14:42:11 EST 2006

In a major address given some years ago in Champaign-Urbana, Harvey
disparaged the elaborate picture of  the projective set hierarchy obtained
by assuming projective determinacy as compared with the much simpler view
under V=L. The only argument he gave for this was that mathematicians
preferred the simpler view.

In his recent interchange with Arnon, Harvey explained carefully his
reasons for soliciting impressions among "core" mathematicians of results
he obtains as consequences of large cardinal axioms. He specifically
discounted Arnon's suggestion that he was doing this to obtain a "kosher"
stamp for his results.

In a private email to Harvey, I asked him whether this indicated a change
of mind on his part, and he suggested that I raise the matter on FOM.

                           Martin Davis
                    Visiting Scholar UC Berkeley
                      Professor Emeritus, NYU
                          martin at eipye.com