[FOM] Possible Worlds -- missing reference

Allen Patterson Hazen allenph at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Dec 22 21:49:04 EST 2006

Addendum to my previous post...
The reference I couldn't remember, advocating the application of
Hintikka's "surface semantics" to the problem of epistemic possibility:
    Veikko Rantala, "Urn models: a new kind of non-standard model for
first-order logic," Journal of Philosophical Logic, vol. 4 (1975), pp.
455-474.
     (This paper developes ideas of Hintikka's about ordinary,
non-epistemic, logic: I think-- if my bibliographical memory isn't failing
me-- the best introduction to Hintikka's idea may be his
chapter in "Truth, Syntax and Modality," ed. H. Leblanc
(North-Holland, ca. 1973).  The connection with epistemic logic is made in
the companion paper immediately following it.)
    Jaakko Hintikka, "Impossible possible worlds vindicated, Journal of
Philosophical Logic, vol. 4 (1975), pp. 475-484.
---
Allen Hazen
Philosophy Department
University of Melbourne