[FOM] Is Godel's Theorem surprising?

praatika@mappi.helsinki.fi praatika at mappi.helsinki.fi
Fri Dec 8 10:04:29 EST 2006

Hilbert, for example, did believe that PA and other such fundamental
theories are complete. This may be in part a consequence of the following:

At the time one did not yet understand well the dramatic difference between
first-order and higher-order logic. And because it was known that one could
characterize the standard model of arithmetic up to isomorphism (in SO
language), it was also expected that one could give a deductively complete
theory of that structure. (So what was really suprising, from this
perspective, was that SO logic is essentially incomplete; not that PA or PM is).

Of course, as we now know, there are many problems in such reasoning, but I
think something like this may have been behind the completeness expectation.

(Hilbert probably expected further that SO logic is, not only complete but
even decidable)

All the Best,  Panu

Panu Raatikainen

Ph.D., Academy Research Fellow,
Docent in Theoretical Philosophy
Department of Philosophy
University of Helsinki
Finland

E-mail: panu.raatikainen at helsinki.fi

http://www.helsinki.fi/collegium/eng/Raatikainen/raatikainen.htm

	Why should it be so surprising that PA is incomplete, and even (in a