[FOM] A Framework for the Study of Feasible and Utterable Numbers

Andrew Boucher Helene.Boucher at wanadoo.fr
Sun Aug 27 11:22:29 EDT 2006

There has been an interesting discussion on feasible and utterable
numbers, by Sazonov, Mannucci, and Podnieks, among others.

On  18 Aug 2006, at 6:09 PM, Mirco Mannucci wrote:

> 2) an approach in the Parikh-Sazonov spirit, i.e. using a
> "feasibility predicate" F() on
> top of a standard arithmetic theory (such as Q).

Here is an alternative framework.  First, do not use Q as a base
theory!!  Q, by assuming the totality of the successor function,
implicitly assumes that the natural numbers - all of them - are
there, contrary to an ultrafinitist viewpoint. Instead, use as base
the system (call it F) which is second-order PA minus the Successor
Axiom.  This system has as models the standard model as well as all
initial segments, so it is agnostic whether the natural numbers go on
and on ad infinitum, or whether there exists a maximum number.   It
also has a nice property for a base theory, in that it can prove its
own consistency.   Note that Q and F are incomparable in strength:
on the one hand, Q does not have induction while F assumes full
induction; on the other, Q makes ontological assumptions
(infinitely!) stronger than F.  So neither is weaker (or stronger)
than the other.

F behaves normally in many ways.  Addition, multiplication, and
exponential relationships can be defined, and their normal properties
can be proved, except for totality.  [1] As a rule of thumb, one
reasons in F as one would in full PA, except that, when given a
natural number n, one can only infer that natural numbers less than n
exist, and not that any greater exist.

Def.  A sequence is a relationship R (an upper-case or second-order
entity) with domain {x : x <= n}.  In this case set top(R) = n.

Sequences behave normally in F, except that the concatenation of two
sequences R and S exists if and only if top(R) + top(S) + 1 exists
(we are beginning the natural number series with 0).

For exposition purposes assume now that 1 exists and that a set of
operations, along with parentheses, OPS = {+,*,^,(,)}, disjoint from
the natural numbers, exists.  Let D = {0,1}, the set of digits.

Def.  A numeral is a sequence R such that:
1/  image(R) = D
2/  with top(R) = n, either n = 0 or not Rn,0.
As is standard write a numeral in "reverse" order, where the value of
top(R) is written first, and the value of 0 is written last.  Then 0
is a numeral, 10010 is a numeral, but 010010 is not a numeral
(because of the leading 0).

Def.  An utterable natural number (written UNN) is a sequence R such
that either:
1/  R is a numeral, or
2/  there exist utterable natural numbers S and T such that R is the
concatenation of
a/ "(",
b/ S,
c/ an element of OPS,
d/ T, and
e/ ")".
So e.g. ((100 ^ 101) + 101) is a UNN, provided of course that this
sequence exists, i.e. if fourteen exists.  Remark that the definition
is "downwardly" recursive and so it can be expressed in F.  That is,
it expresses conditions for a sequence, which must exist, to be a
UNN.  It does not make any ontological assertions (as one sometimes
finds in definitions in logic books).  In particular, it does not
assert the existence of a larger thing (the UNN R), given the
existence of smaller ones (the UNNs S and T).  This, of course,
cannot be asserted in general in F.  In fact, the existence of R
follows if and only if top(S) + top(T) + 4 exists.

It is possible to define formulas EQ_NN and EQ_NUM such that:
1/ EQ_NN(R,n) expresses intuitively that R is a UNN which represents
the natural number n, and
2/ EQ_NUM(R,S) expresses intuitively that R is a UNN which represents
the numeral S.
So e.g. if ten exists, then ((10 ^ 10) + 1) represents the number
five or the numeral 101.

Note of course that one cannot assume in general, for any UNN R, that
there exists an n or an S such that EQ_NN(R,n) or EQ_NUM(R,S).
However, if there exists an n such that EQ_NN(R,n), then there exists
an S such that EQ_NUM(R,S), since the length of a numeral is always
less than or equal to the number which it represents.  So three
classes of UNN spring to mind:
1/  R such that there exists n with EQ_NNN(R,n)
2/  R such that there exists S with EQ_NUM(R,S) but not such there
exists n with EQ_NN(R,n)
3/  the rest - the utterable numbers which are not equivalent to
numerals.  Under suitable conditions a tower of powers of 10 (i.e.
two) would fall into this category.

UNNs of categories 1/ and 2/  have nice features.  One is easily able
to define an equality formula which is reflexive, symmetric, and
transitive.  It would seem (though I have not rigorously checked for
2/) that standard properties, such as the Euclidean Algorithm and the
existence and uniqueness of Prime Factorization, apply.

UNNs of category 3/ are a different matter.  It would seem there is a
problem, as Sazanov has noted in regards to his framework, of
defining a formula for equality which is transitive.  The most
natural manner of defining equality would be to say that two UNNs are
equal if they can be transformed from one to the other using various
transformation steps, such as using commutativity of addition, or
distribution, or certain power rules.  The problem is that R might be
transformed to S in n steps, and S to T in m steps, but n + m might
not exist, so there may be no permissible transformation from R to
T.  So:

QUESTION 1.  Does there exist a formula EQUAL such that F proves that
EQUAL(R,S) precisely when R and S are UNNs representing, intuitively,
"equal numbers"?

This leads to another, associated, question:

QUESTION 2.  Does there exist a formula LESS_THAN such that F proves
that LESS_THAN(R,S) precisely when R and S are UNNs with R
representing, intuitively, "a number less than" that represented by S?

One possible way forward, should the answer to Question 1 be in the
negative, might be to define the natural formula for equality and
only look at UNNs for which transitivity applies.

[1]  Details may be found in "Arithmetic Without the Successor
Axiom", located at http://www.andrewboucher.com/papers/arith-succ.pdf.