[FOM] Meta-logic

A.P. Hazen a.hazen at philosophy.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 16 04:40:59 EDT 2006

which basic meta-logical results (e.g. soundness, completeness of
First Order Logic) can  be proved, Roger Bishop Jones mentions  that
Robinson's Q has been used for various  meta-mathematical
investigations.  The best study I know of what can and can't be
proven in (systems interpretable in) Q is Edward Nelson's
"Predicative Arithmetic" (Princeton University Press, 1986).  An
earlier result is in Bezboruah & Shepherdson, "JSL" vol 41 (1976 if
I've done the arithmetic right), pp. 503-512.
    Panu Raatikainen mentions ACA-0, and says that the meta-logical
results mentioned can be proven in it, but not in Q.
    Long-time FoM readers are familiar with the "Reverse Mathematics"
program, and in particular with Steve Simpson's "Subsystems of Second
Order Arithmetic" (first edition, Springer, 1999; second edition
fairly recently).  The "heroes" of Simpson's book are the systems
(listed in order of increasing strength) RCA-sub-0, WKL-sub-0,
ACA-sub-0, ATR-sub-0. Pi-super-1-sub-1-CA-sub-0, and Z-sub-2.  One of
the basic results (p. 36 in Simpson's book) is that Gödel's
completeness theorem (in the form: consistent countable sets of First
Order sentences  have countable models) is provable in WKL-sub-0 but
not in RCA-sub-0 (and is in fact equivalent, over RCA-sub-0, to the
characteristic axiom of WKL-sub-0).
    Robinson's Q is a proper subsystem of RCA-sub-0.  Nelson shows
that, in a system interpretable in Q, the consistency of Q follows
the Hilbert-Ackermann Consistency Theorem (a close cousin of
Herbrand's Theorem).  In the light of Gödel's Second Incompleteness
Theorem, those of us less formalist and nominalist in our philosophy
than Nelson should HOPE that the Hilbert-Ackermann theorem is NOT
provable in Q!
    Vladimir Sazonov says that he has shown that "in a  weak
framework," the completeness theorem is provable iff NP=coNP.  Can
you tell  us,  Vladimir, how your "weak framework" compares to the
systems in Simpson's book?

Allen Hazen
Philosophy Department
University of Melbourne