[FOM] Feasible and Utterable Numbers

V.Sazonov@csc.liv.ac.uk V.Sazonov at csc.liv.ac.uk
Mon Aug 7 18:09:22 EDT 2006

Hi Vladik!

Thanks for your clarifying comments.

> Thus, if we make a computational cell as small as a particle, we still
> have no more than 10^88 particles performing 10^40 steps - to the total
> of no more than 10^128 steps overall.
>
> This translated to 2^430 computational steps which is slightly larger
> than 2^100.
>
> In short, your argument remains valid if you add one more 0, and talk
> about 2^1000 instead of 2^100.

Note that I usually mention just 2^1000 to be guaranteed from any
physical objections. But, in fact, this is not so important for me.

I do not know whether it is realistic in a remote future to make a
computational cell as small as a particle and to construct a computer
(comparable with the size of the World or, say, a Galaxy) which would
reliably save and manipulate in its memory with binary strings of the
length like 2^100. Let us better think about our contemporary real life
and real computational practice. Let us also think in terms like "which
is the precision of calculations sufficient for projecting a reliable
nuclear reactor?". Then I think (and hope that experts could confirm)
that postulating 2^100 = infinity is more than enough. In some cases
2^50 = infinity could be probably quite good. (I hope it is clear what
I mean.) So, what is the "best" upper bound for feasible numbers
(postulated as closed under successor and even sum operations) may
depend on some real circumstances, and the very concept of feasibility
is extremely vague. Nevertheless, it can be appropriately formalised
and therefore be subject to mathematical methods of rigorous reasoning.
Even if some such a version of feasibility theory (with not so high
postulated upper bound for feasible numbers, say 2^30= 1,073,741,824)
will happen to be contradictory with some quite lengthy, but
practically feasible proof of contradiction available for the
contemporary computer, this theory will still make a sense if we would
restrict ourselves to not so long proofs. But in the case of
postulating only 2^1000=infinity no formal contradiction is possible
(as soon as the ordinary mathematical formalisms like PA or ZFC are
reliable). This is what I really wanted to say and demonstrate.

Kind regards,

Vladimir