[FOM] Feasible and Utterable Numbers

Karlis Podnieks Karlis.Podnieks at mii.lu.lv
Thu Aug 3 03:29:42 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <V.Sazonov at csc.liv.ac.uk>
To: "Foundations of Mathematics" <fom at cs.nyu.edu>
Cc: <V.Sazonov at csc.liv.ac.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 11:50 AM

Thank you very much, Vladimir, for your response.

The vision behind my attempts to initiate this discussion comes from the
1973 paper "On the dogma of natural numbers" by Pyotr Konstantinovich
Rashevsky (translated also as Petr, or Rashevskii) - already mentioned on
the FOM list (http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/1998-April/001825.html).

1) The traditional natural number system (as defined by the axioms of PA, or
ZF) is not an exact copy of any real world structure. Only small initial
segments of this system can be regarded as exact copies of real world
structures. Already the "set" of elementary particles contained in a
macroscopic body behaves in a more complicated way than can be described by
"iterations of the successor function".

2) So, let us search for a "more adequate" arithmetic. For large numbers,
this arithmetic must yield a more complicated structure than "iterations of
the successor function". The number 2^1000 must be "feasible" in this
arithmetic (or, better - "utterable", as proposed by Mirco Mannucci),
because, if there is a set of 1000 members, then there is also the set of
all subsets of it. Etc. - all numbers (i.e. expressions) used in
combinatorics must be "utterable".

Thus, couldn't the "system of exponential expressions" serve as a model of
this more complicated structure? To reveal this structure, we must restrict
our logic in such a way that proving of most "non-observable facts" becomes
impossible.  For example, the expression 2^1000 is "easily utterable", it
can be represented as 2*2*...*2 (1000 times), but not as "iterations of the
successor function".

The first purely mathematical problem that arises under this approach: how
complicated is comparing the numerical values of two exponential expressions
of size n? I tried to propose it in my posting
http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2005-December/009504.html. According to
two very prominent complexity theory experts, this problem is not yet
solved.

Bounded Arithmetic, where ALL sufficiently large numbers are qualified as
unfeasible, represents a different way of thinking.

My best wishes,
Karlis Podnieks