[FOM] Torkel Franzen

Charles Silver silver_1 at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 20 21:00:33 EDT 2006

	Solomon Feferman asked me to post this for him:

*********

The death of Torkel Franzén on April 19 that has been announced on this
list is a loss that I and others who got to know him in person or
through email contact feel deeply.  Torkel was a frequent contributor to
FOM and will be remembered for his concise comments with a witty edge
that
to my mind (of the ones that I saw) were always right on the mark.

He began his professional career with a PhD in Philosophy in Stockholm,
under the direction of Dag Prawitz.  His work on that is described by
him
on his home page (http://www.sm.luth.se/~torkel/) as follows:

"Provability and Truth, my PhD thesis (in philosophy), is available from
university libraries in many parts of the world. This is not because of
any tremendous demand for it, but only because it appeared (in 1987)
in a
series that many such libraries subscribe to: Acta universitatis
stockholmiensis, Stockholm Studies in Philosophy 9, ISBN 91-22-01158-7.
More simply, it is available here."

I find the ideas expounded in his thesis that he calls "classical
eclecticism" very thought-provoking and deserving of wider
consideration.

I first became aware of Torkel Franzén through the comments on his
homepage, Gödel on the net, that he turned into a book last year,
"Gödel's Theorem. An incomplete guide to its use and abuse"