[FOM] Intuitionists and excluded middle

Hartley Slater slaterbh at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Sun Oct 30 19:49:34 EST 2005

At 12:00 PM -0500 30/10/05, Michael Kremer wrote:
>Thus in
>Drago's argument, the intuitionist understanding
>of the logical connectives involved in LEM is
>tacitly presupposed, and so the argument as it
>stands simply begs the question against the
>classical logician.  The classical logician is
>quite happy to assert that either A or not-A
>without claiming to be able to decide which is the case.

Exactly so!  That is why 'the LEM', in Intuitionistic terms, is
better symbolised as a modal thesis, of the form 'Lp v L-p', where
'L' is 'it is decidable constructively that'.  Clearly *that* does
not hold in general; and its not holding in general does not conflict
with 'p v -p' invariably holding.  I previously referenced a recent
article by J.Y.Beziau, which was about the propriety of such modal
re-expressions (both in the Intuitionistic case, and in the dual,
Paraconsistentist case, where there is again no conflict with
classical logic, once the proper symbolisation is used).
--
Barry Hartley Slater
Honorary Senior Research Fellow