[FOM] Intuitionists and excluded middle

Keith Brian Johnson joyfuloctopus at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 20:51:37 EDT 2005

Taking "having a truth-value" to mean "having a constructible proof"
or, alternatively, taking it to mean "having been constructibly
proven," I can't see the meaning of denying either (a) or (b), at least
not while holding time and claimant fixed.  Surely every sentence
either has a constructible proof or it hasn't for any particular time
and any particular claimant; surely every sentence either has been
constructibly proven or it hasn't for any particular time and any
particular claimant.  If "having a truth-value" is taken as "having
been constructibly proven," then it is perfectly possible that a
sentence's truth-value will *change* rather than remaining fixed for
all time; was that the sort of denial being expressed?  I don't think
the sentences were being relativized to individual claimants, were
they?  I'm puzzled as to the meaning of the denials quoted below.

Keith Brian Johnson