[FOM] Theorem on Convex sets

joeshipman@aol.com joeshipman at aol.com
Thu Oct 6 10:00:06 EDT 2005

Jeremy, there is a lot hidden in "We can assume that the surface of A
is made up of 'small' (hyper-)polygons A_i."

I believe this idea can be extended to a rigorous proof (it is easier
if you project from a point in the interior of A than along lines
parallel to a normal to A_i). But the hard part is explaining why you
can make this assumption for an arbitrary convex set.

I regard this as being foundationally relevant because a rigorous proof
(in either 2 or N dimensions) seems to require lots of "machinery". I
believe this is related to the difficulty the ancient Greek geometers
had showing that the circumference of a circle was less than that of a
circumscribed polygon -- they required an additional axiom or an
"exhaustion" argument.

(So who was the first to show rigorously that the boundary of a convex
set can by approximated by hyperpolygons, with appropriate attention to
epsilons?)

This came up because I was showing my 13-year-old daughter how to
estimate pi by inscribed and circumscribed polygons. She accepted the
lower bound because she accepted that a straight line is shorter than
an arc between the same endpoints; but that principle is not enough to
get the upper bound, you need something extra, as she quite properly
noted.

The foundational question: "How much extra" do you need?

-- Joe Shipman