[FOM] Some informative questions about intuitionistic logic and mathematics

Mark van Atten Mark.vanAtten at univ-paris1.fr
Mon Nov 7 05:11:09 EST 2005

On 03 Nov 2005 22:10:18 -0500, Richard Heck wrote:

 > It is
 > perfectly consistent (by her standards) for her also to claim that there
 > is no sentence that is neither true nor false.

Moreover, she can prove this; for assume that she knows that neither p
nor not-p can ever be proved, then in particular she knows that p can
never be proved, but on the proof interpretation that amounts to having
a proof of not-p, and we have a contradiction.

A piece of paper in the Brouwer archive shows that Brouwer had this
argument around the time of his thesis (probably _after_ rather than
before); for some reason he never published it.

Best wishes,
Mark.

--
IHPST (Paris 1/CNRS/ENS)
13 rue du Four, F-75006 Paris, France

--
Ce message a été vérifié par MailScanner
suspect n'a été trouvé.