[FOM] alleged Hilbert quote

billy hudson billyhudson at mail.boisestate.edu
Thu May 12 14:47:40 EDT 2005

For a reference to the Blumenthal converstation see page 208 of I.
Grattan-Guiness's "The Search for Mathematical Roots . . ." where
Hilbert is quoted as saying 'one must be able to say "tables, chairs,
beer-mugs" each time in place of "points, lines, planes"'.
Grattan-Guiness gives references Blumenthal, 402-403.

Blumenthal, O (1876-1944)
*1935a.* "Lebensgeschichte", in Hilbert *Papers 3*, 388-435.

Hilbert, D, (1862-1943)
*Papers. Gesammelte Abhandlungen*, 3 vols., 1932-1935, Berlin (Springer)
= 1970 = 1966, New York (Chelsea).

Grattan-Guiness also says "this famous remark is normally misunderstood
and Hilbert may not have thought it through at the time" (p. 208). He
then goes on to do an analysis of the remark on page 209.

cheers,
billy