[FOM] Hahn Banach and the Baire Property

D.R. MacIver drm39 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Mar 5 04:58:41 EST 2005

Sorry, managed to find a reference on my own after all.

The existence of a finitely additive probability measure on P(N) which
vanishes on finite sets is sufficient to give a subset of {0, 1}^N which
lacks the baire property. Specifically (identifying {0, 1}^N with P(N) in
the obvious way) the set { a \in {0, 1}^N : u(a) = 0 } lacks the baire
property.

If you want more details I can either reproduce them here, or you can check
out the reference HAF (page 810, ``Pincus's Pathology'' ).

Thanks,
David MacIver