[FOM] Fwd: Re: analysis and set theory

D.R. MacIver drm39 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 18 13:18:10 EST 2005

Just forwarding (with permission) a more complete explanation of the types
of theorems in analysis which depend sensitively on the underlying set
theoretic axioms that I sent to Randall Holmes. This should clarify my
rather brief response to the email list as to why second order arithmetic
isn't really enough for the kinds of analysis I'm interested in dealing
with.

I've chopped out the original email this is replying to, as well as various
non-mathematical bits.