[FOM] Latest from Doron Zeilberger

Mitch Harris Harris.Mitchell at mgh.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 16 15:34:07 EST 2005

> Is here http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~zeilberg/Opinion68.html
>
> Is it ironic?  Or serious?

Yes? You forgot sarcastic.

Read the rest of his opinions to get a consistent flavor for what he is
like. Then you'll be able to judge for yourself. He is definitely
contrarian. If this opinion disturbs you, you'll probably be disturbed
about his opinions about the nature of proof.

I don't think you should interpret his opinions too -strictly- (e.g.
infer from the given opinion that he formally accords no existence to
infinity). That might very well underlie his stated opinions, but then
these opinions are not intended to be well-reasoned arguments (except
when they are).

Anyway, as you may well know, he is a well respected formal
mathematician, and his mathematical opinions are at least well thought
through. He is self-avowedly not a formal philospher, but that doesn't
stop him from saying intelligent philsophical things.

As to this particular opinion, I'm surprised that he was ever 'on the
fence' about it.

Mitch