[FOM] A New Ordinal Notation

Lew Gordeew legor at gmx.de
Tue Aug 23 13:13:11 EDT 2005

Thanks.

Now let x:=C(0,0,0)=1 and y:=C(0,C(0,0,0),0). Clearly x is in the standard
form. Furthermore, we have:

(I) x<y, since (0,0) < (0,C(0,0,0)) via 0<C(0,0,0)=1
     by (a,b) < (b, e) for a=b:=0 and e:=C(0,0,0)

(II) y is in the standard form, since 0 is clearly minimal and C(0,0,0)
maximal by (I).

(III) y<x, since 0<C(0,0,0) and (0,C(0,0,0)) < (C(0,0,0),0) via 0<C(0,0,0)
     by (a,b) < (b, e) for a=e:=0 and b:=C(0,0,0)

Hence x<y<x and x, y are both in the standard form.

By the same token, X<Y<X is true of
X:= C(C(1,1,0),0) = "the proof-theoretical ordinal for Pi1_1-CA_0"
Y:= C(C(2,0,0),0) = "the ordinal for Pi1_1 Transfinite Recursion (with
induction limited to sets)"

What went wrong?

Regards,
LG