[FOM] Parson's Thesis?

Thomas Forster T.Forster at dpmms.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 10 21:12:49 EDT 2005

On the subject of the naturalness of the hierachy of PR functions, her
is my two penn'orth

   Quite often when we have a natural recursively defined family we have a
good notion of restricted quantifier.  One thinks immediately of the
cumulative hierarchy - where the good notion of restricted quantifier is
$(\forall x \in y) ... and $(\exists x \in y) ... - and of the natural
numbers - where the good notion of restricted quantifier is $(\forall x <
y) ... and $(\exists x < y) ...

What do i mean by a "good" notion of restricted quantifier?  I mean that
the restricted quantifiers behave more like propositional connectives than
quantifiers - in that one can prove Prenex-normal-form-like theorems for
them: one an pull unrestriced quantifiers to the front of formulae past
restricted quantifiers. (The fact that one seems to need the axiom scheme
of replacement to do this in set theory has always seemed to me to be an
argument in favour of adopting replacment that should be ued more wisely)

Now the PR functions are an inductively defined family.  There is a
notion of restricted quantifier corresponding to this induction.   Does it
behave well?  Does it give us concise formulations of cute facts?  And
might its good (or otherwise) behaviour have any baring on the naturalness
of the hierarchy of PR functions?