[FOM] Re: Shapiro on natural and formal languages

Vladimir Sazonov V.Sazonov at csc.liv.ac.uk
Tue Nov 30 11:15:44 EST 2004

JoeShipman at aol.com wrote:

I claim that the reasoning involved in these [visual] proofs is valid
and rigorous and something important is lost when they are converted
into sententially formalized arguments.  That they (and, in our
experience, all such visual arguments) CAN be so converted is an
empirical and highly nontrivial sociological and epistemological fact
about mathematics.

My comment:

These proofs are rigorous only to that degree to which they are
formalizable - does not matter which way. We can try to formalize
such proofs very close to how they appeared visually, not necessary
in FOL. Moreover, we could have a metatheorem on a translation from
this formalization to FOL or ZFC. This may be a positive outcome,
and I see nothing so unusual here.

On the other hand, the discrepancy between intuition (via visual
images or some other way) and ANY kind of formalization, even that
looking very close to the intuition is evidently unavoidable.

Vladimir Sazonov