[FOM] Arithmetic-free theory of formal systems?

Rene Vestergaard vester at jaist.ac.jp
Tue May 18 03:35:03 EDT 2004

particular the one by John McCarthy, allow me to point to my thesis "The
Primitive Proof Theory of the lambda-Calculus". In it, I develop a
substantial part of lambda-calculus theory using only the proof
principles John McCarthy referred to. In other words, all proofs are
conducted over the lambda-calculus presented as first-order abstract
syntax while using only structural or rule induction and while relying
on structural-recursive definitions for all arguments to do with
totality, computability, and functionality. Substantial parts of the
work has been formally verified in the Isabelle/HOL theorem prover in
conjunction with James Brotherston.

The results that most directly address Timothy Chow's questions are
Prop. 1.28 (and the preceding lemmas), which shows that Curry-style
substitution is a total, computable function and, presumably, Section
3.3, which shows that alpha-equivalence is decidable.

Sincerely,
Rene Vestergaard

Details at: http://www.jaist.ac.jp/~vester/,
http://www.jaist.ac.jp/~vester/Writings/thesis.pdf (please note that the
proof of Lemma 7.22 contains an error, as it stands).