[FOM] Object-Oriented Formal Mathematical Languages

steven@pearavenue.com steven at pearavenue.com
Wed May 5 02:51:11 EDT 2004

In support of Tony Hoare - I worked with his group at Oxford while defining one of the languages based on his formalism CSP - that language was the Occam programming language that deals with communication and concurrency - and we were very focused on the formal verification of computer programs.

It is only a matter of economics that lets software companies get away with the liberal informality of modern programming languages.  If the penalty for shipping faultly code was equal to the penalty in the semiconductor business (which can amount to million of dollars) then you would see software houses demanding formal practice, verification, demonstration of certain properties (such as deadlock feeedom) and proof that a program met its specification.

As it is th cost of poor practice is simply passed to the consumer.

That computer programmers are not mathematicians is matter only of economic tolerance and engineering pragmatics.

With respect,
Steven

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton at acm.org> wrote ..