[FOM] more on Toby Ord

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Thu Mar 11 20:46:47 EST 2004

Toby Ord has a stance of neutrality on the question of whether
"hypercomputation" can exist in our universe. Until and unless there is a
proof that it is impossible, he asks that equal credit be given to both
possibilities.

In my paper "The Myth of Hypercomputation" I compare those who seek
hypercomputation devices with those who build "perpetual motion machines".
It is certainly conceivable that some "astounding" discovery will
contradict the laws of thermodynamics. But what would one say to those who
call for neutrality between advocates of perpetual motion and their opponents?

Martin