[FOM] naive continuum metaphysics

Alexander M Lemberg sandylemberg at juno.com
Thu Mar 4 23:46:22 EST 2004

this list before in another context. There is a subject known as "Smooth
Infinitesimal Analysis" or "Synthetic Differential Geometry" which treats
the continuum as "non punctate". I think this may address your question
fairly directly. My response has something in common with that of
Spitters in that the law of the excluded middle fails in these systems.
They are an approach to infinitesimals alternative to the nonstandard
analysis of Robinson. In these systems, the infinitesimals are non
punctiform and nilpotent whereas in the Robinson approach, infinitesimals
are invertible.