[FOM] naive continuum metaphysics

William.Piper@colorado.edu William.Piper at colorado.edu
Tue Mar 2 10:14:57 EST 2004

Following up on Steven's question regarding the continuum as a non-set:

I was wondering if anyone on the list has seen mathematical or philosophical
work on the continuum being a fundamental unity? To consider the continuum as a
pointless entity where the reals are in some sense indiscernable from one
another was proposed to me by a friend. This person regards the CH as a
fundamentally meaningless question and claims that we make the mistake of
thinking of the continuum as composed of objects (points or reals) when it is
really a single, "solid" entity. Has anyone seen any writing on this or perhaps
written something on this themselves?

Everett