[FOM] Automatic theorem proving in trigonometry and synthetic geometry

Jeremy Clark jclark at noos.fr
Thu Jul 22 02:29:15 EDT 2004

I posted a little too hastily. z should have been exp(i*2*pi/n), and
the identity holds if and only if *one* of the factors divides *p_z*,
the characteristic polynomial of z. (Which is a prime factor of z^n-1.)
The point is that all the factorising etc. can be done over Z, or
perhaps Z[i] - thanks to Gauss's lemma - and so is decidable.

Jeremy