[FOM] AXIOM SCHEMATA
corcoran at buffalo.edu
Mon Jul 12 22:44:10 EDT 2004
1. Who were the earliest to use an axiom schema in the modern sense?
Kneale and Kneale 1962 page 528 says Von Neumann 1927.
2. Who were the earliest to attempt to explain the concept of an axiom
3. Who were the earliest to purpose the expression axiom schema?
4. Which other expressions were proposed? Herbrand 1930 uses matrix.
5. When was the axiom of mathematical induction first approximated by a
schema? Herbrand 1930?
6. When did logicians start to realize that a sufficiently rich system
of number theory could be constructed on the basis of a first-order
7. Who were the earliest to attempt to use a axiom schema for
mathematical induction in an axiomatization of first-order number
theory? Herbrand 1930?
8. Who objected that infinitely many axioms was contrary to the spirit
of the axiomatic method?
9.What else should I be asking about schemata?
PLATONISM IN MATHEMATICS: To me a Platonism
with respect to
seems to be obvious and its rejection to border
on feeble-mindedness. Kurt Gödel 1975, BSL 2004. It is the merest
truism, evident at once to unsophisticated observation, that mathematics
is a human invention. Percy Bridgman 1946, Kline 1980, 325.
More information about the FOM