[FOM] more on Hilbert's 6th problem

Martin Davis martin at eipye.com
Sat Jan 24 14:48:05 EST 2004

I wrote:

<<Harvey quotes Hilbert on this. In reading what Hilbert said, it is
important to keep in mind that this was in 1900 before relativity and
quantum theory, when it might appear that physics as a field for
fundamental investigation was coming to an end, and what was left was to
tidy up the loose ends.>>

I thought of this as a mild uncontroversial reminder that in studying the
history of ideas, it is important not to forget the historical context.
However, Harvey has taken issue with this, writing:

<<Is there something that Hilbert wrote that you disagree with?

I doubt if there was ever a time where many reasonable people would agree
that "physics as a field for fundamental investigation was coming to an
end". >>

It is often the case that an intellectual endeavor develops, to begin
with,  in a rough-and-ready way on the basis of intuition and analogy
(especially the engine of analogy that the extensibility of a mathematical
formalism can provide). At such a point insistence on absolute rigor and
axiomatic foundations can be stifling. Which was more significant for the
development of mathematics: Berkeley's penetrating foundational critique of
calculus or Euler's glorious follow-the-formalism-as-far-as-it-takes-me
efforts? More recently one can point to Italian algebraic geometry, cleaned
up only in the middle of the 20th century. I think it was E.T. Bell who
said: "Sufficient is the day to the rigor thereof."

Not that it's important, but I do think that if Hilbert had an inkling of
what lay ahead for physics, he would not have included his 6th problem on
his list, at least not in that form. Perhaps he would have contented
himself with a call for an axiomatic treatment of probability theory.

A good case in point of what was to come is Bohr's theory of the hydrogen
atom. This was a beautiful simple theory that was in excellent agreement
with experiment. It predicted correctly the position of the lines
corresponding to hydrogen in a spectroscopic analysis of light (terrestrial
or stellar). There was just one problem: the assumptions were inconsistent.
Bohr assumed that the electron revolved around the nucleus (a proton) like
a planet around a star, but held by Coulomb force rather than gravity. In
addition, he assumed that the atom could emit radiation (producing those
spectral lines). Using classical mechanics this would lead to a
degeneration in which the electron spiralled into the nucleus. But instead
Bohr introduced the ad hoc assumption that there is a discrete set of
energy levels, and that radiation is accompanied by a simple "quantum leap"
(the energy being an integer multiple of Planck's h) into a lower energy
level.

As to the feeling at the end of the 19th century that physics might be
coming to an end, I can say this: when I was a boy many decades ago, I read
vociferously about developments in contemporary physics, and in that
literature, the statement was a commonplace. The recent post by Laura Elena
makes the same point. I believe it was the American Nobel prize-winning
physicist Millikan who is supposed to have said that future generations of
physicists would be limited to more accurate measurements of the basic
physical constants. (If I remember correctly, Millikan was awarded the
prize for his "oil drop experiment" measuring the charge on an electron,
and that it later was found out that the value he had come up with was
seriously off.)

In a later post, Harvey reports on his reading an account of physics at the
end of the 19th century:

<<I read there about how the physicists felt that there are purely mechanical
explanations of all sorts of phenomena, and they were desperately trying to
give such explanations, but coming up against brick walls.>>

This desperation and "brick walls" are apparent only in hindsight (which is
notoriously 20-20). At the time, many investigators thought that their
difficulties would soon be overcome. The development of statistical
mechanics had shown (although without the rigor that Hilbert was rightly
asking for in that connection) how the laws of thermodynamics could be
reduced to the mechanical motion of molecules. There was every expectation
that light would be brought into the fold.

Martin

                           Martin Davis
                    Visiting Scholar UC Berkeley
                      Professor Emeritus, NYU