[FOM] Logic and Fibonacci

William Tait wwtx at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 8 20:09:46 EST 2004

John,

The connection is probably with Matiyasevich's proof that Hilbert's
tenth problem cannot be solved. The sequence in question was the first
example of a Diophantine relation of exponential growth. See M's book
_Hilbert's Tenth Problem_. Kreisel used to say---I'm sure many times---
that since Fibonacci invented the series to measure the rate of growth
of a population of rabbits, it should have been selfevident that it is
exponential.

Bill Tait